Lauren in Scotland: Life in Stirling

Hi, there! I'm Lauren Gaines, and I am a Junior here at Maryville College double majoring in Writing Communications and Design. This past summer I had the privilege of studying abroad at the University of Stirling in Scotland. During this blog series I will detail my experiences traveling across Scotland and living as a student in a foreign country! 


During my time in Scotland, I stayed in a residence hall on The University of Stirling’s campus. I went to Scotland not knowing anyone, so transportation from the airport was one of the most nerve-racking things for me. However, once I got through Customs (which wasn’t as scary as I thought, by the way), I made my way to baggage claim and got my bag which, as a first time international traveler, I was shocked that it made it all the way to Scotland and with me. The University of Stirling, the school in which I would be studying at, had people there to taxi us to the Uni, so the majority of my anxiety was soothed rather quickly. Yes, I said us, because despite what I assumed, I was one of four that was being picked up at the airport. We all got in a taxi and immediately bonded through our mutual excitement, and love for Outlander and Harry Potter. Within my first hour in Scotland, I had already made friends. The taxi ride was about thirty minutes from Edinburgh Airport to Stirling. 


My room at the University of Stirling. I lived in a flat with about 10 other people (mainly girls), which was more like a dorm hallway where we shared a kitchen and living area. I had my own room and ensuite bathroom.

Our taxi driver took us right to our residence hall (Juniper Court), and when we walked in the door the International Summer School director and our RAs for the next month. There was one RA for the girls, and one RA for the boys, but they were there for everyone so I could have asked any of them questions. They were all so kind and gave us free T-shirts and water bottles while helping us get into our room. They were so welcoming, and I immediately felt at home! 

The first thing I did after meeting the International Summer School director and my RAs was take a nap. Like a four hour nap. Jet lag is so real, y’all. Luckily, my flight arrived in the morning, and none of my orientation started until that evening, so I could relax and unpack some things while everyone else was moving in. Then, my orientation began with a campus tour and dinner. One of my favorite parts of the University of Stirling is the bridge that connects the residence halls to the rest of campus. It is over a loch (that’s what the lakes are called in Scotland), and has a great view of Dumayat Hill, which looks more like a mountain. The swans that swam in the loch and the sunsets over Dumayat were some of my most favorite parts of my trip.

Orientation walking across the bridge to dinner
The sunset over the loch and Dumayat Hill.

The girls I met at the airport just so happened to be placed in my same flat, and we clicked instantly, along with some other people in our flat we met at orientation. For the most part, the friends I met on the first day remained my group of friends throughout the month, and we even have a group chat still where we will occasionally talk to each other, even six months later. One of the best parts of the International Summer School was that they had ways to show us Scotland and provide local support, but also gave us time to explore all on our own. That first night, my new friends and I walked ten minutes down the road to Airthrey Castle. 

Airthrey Castle. I could see this castle from outside my dorm.
My view on my walk to the castle.

Another great thing about Stirling is how close downtown is to campus. It is about 40 minute walk, or a 10 minute bus ride. A lot of people walked, but my friends and I got a month long bus pass and took the bus most of the time. The pass was about £30, but it was worth it, because we went into town pretty much every day after our classes. 

I loved downtown Stirling. There is a mall for all your shopping needs and a small Sainsbury’s for any groceries you may need. (There was also a Co-Op on campus, which also sells basic groceries and some food) Downtown Stirling also has many restaurants to choose from.

Me in downtown Stirling!

My favorite place in Downtown Stirling, however, was a small bookstore/coffee shop called The Book Nook. They had some of the best Chai Tea I’ve ever had, which cinnamon sprinkled on top. I would go with my friends far too often to read or work on homework, and we would almost always find ourselves scouring the shelves for a new book to buy (Which is very dangerous if you know me. I ended up having to put a limit on myself)

My first chai latte at The Book Nook
Reading with my Chai Latte
The shelves at The Book Nook

Another gem and must see in Stirling is the Stirling Castle. Having so much history being so close to campus was so special! 

Stirling Castle
Robert the Bruce outside Stirling Castle
Inside Stirling Castle. These are the famed Unicorn Tapestries. Fun fact: The Unicorn is the national animal of Scotland!

About a thirty minute walk on the OTHER side of campus was a small little town called Bridge of Allan. Our bus traveled through here multiple times, but we really only visited once! It was so cute and small, we had dinner at a bar, and were the only ones in there. The owner of the bar was so kind and offered up all his recommendations for the food. I had the fried brie bites, and they were delicious!

In Bridge of Allan

Of course, Stirling also has its night life! Near the end of my trip, I had the pleasure of seeing a community theatre production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, a drag show and jukebox musical wrapped up into one. I really wanted to see a musical or while I was in Scotland, and I was lucky to be invited by one of my friends. I was so glad to have this one so close to campus! And it was wonderful!!!

Priscilla Queen of the Desert at the Tolbooth in Downtown Stirling!
Curtain call after a great show
My friends and I seeing Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

Another thing I was so glad to witness during my time in Stirling was their march for independence. Scotland has been trying to gain Independence from the UK for a very, very, long time. If there is one thing that Scots have, it’s pride for their country. 

From the Scotland March for Independence in Downtown Stirling

As I traveled to other parts of the country over the weekends, I saw and experienced so many things, but this all happened in Stirling alone. I am so thankful to have spent the month living in this city. It was the perfect mix of tranquil, quaint, and lively. It was such a lovely place to live, and I am so thankful for the experiences and friendships it gave me. I am always missing the sunsets of Stirling. 

Sunset over the loch from the campus bridge. (On the other side, this time)