Ticos and Tostadas: Costa Rican Food

 

Food. Let's talk about food.  Food in Costa Rica seems to be more well balanced than in the U.S.  Vegetables and fruits are more prominent with every meal including plantains, potatoes, beans, and regional vegetables.  Each meal offers a variety of vegetables and fruits along with a starch such as noodles or rice.  Fresh fruit is also popular in lieu of water or sodas.  Some of the popular smoothies or fruit drinks are blackberry, pineapple, mango, frutas, and watermelon.  This seems to be the bulk of sugar intake for Costa Rican cuisine.  



Proteins are less prominent in Costa Rica whereas they are typically a standard with American meals.  Proteins typically include roasted beef and slow cooked pork but mainly offer baked chicken dishes.  In the U.S., things are typically fried especially in the southeast regions.  In Costa Rica, I have been trying a multitude of fruits and vegetables that are primarily regional produce that's not available in the U.S. or is less prominent.  Nearly every dish involves some version of rice and beans, however some American style meals are available more touristy areas such as La Fortuna and Tamarindo including burgers pastas and sandwiches and uncommonly including steaks on the menus.  

     


   I've noticed that having a more balanced regular diet while in Costa Rica made me feel better physically and mentally, and I find it easier to wake up and get up in the morning.  Food lasts with me longer, and I have more energy and less hunger between meals.  I thought that I may be hungry abroad, thinking that other countries must use smaller portions than in America, but was surprised to find the portions in Costa Rica are large – mainly for breakfast and lunch with smaller meals for dinner.  However, snacking throughout the day seemed to be les popular and healthier alternatives like fresh produce were widely available.  Some junk food like cookies, crackers, and cakes were available in convenience stores and supermarkets, but were not at the forefront of every aisle as they are in the United States.  

Upon returning to the U.S., I find that most available foods are prepackaged, processed, and shipped to the consumer.  I like the ability to be able to trace where local foods come from as much of the food products are locally grown and sourced in Costa Rica.  Many of the Costa Rican restaurants did not use prepackaged food, but even in smaller diner-style establishments, the customer has a buffet system to choose from that includes many popular foods like rice and beans, chicken, plantains, and salad.  With my return to the U.S., I have noticed that my eating habits developed in Costa Rica have stayed with me.  I tend to eat smaller portions and avoid prepackaged food, which is proving difficult to do. I strive to purchase fresh produce and vegetables rather than predeveloped meals, however there is a noticeable difference in the quality between mass-grown fresh produce that has been shipped to the end user.  The food quality of Costa Rica seems to be generally higher than in America.  I found that eating prepackaged food (especially junk or fast food) in the U.S. makes me feel physically sluggish and mentally less equipped.  I hope to be able to maintain some semblance of the diet that I became accustomed to while in Costa Rica and maintain the physical and mental benefits of the local cuisine now that I am back in my home country - however, I will be missing the fresh fruit juices and smoothies the most.