The Final Day in Costa Rica

 The morning started bittersweet. It was our final full day here in Costa Rica. We all prepared for a day full of sun, sand, and water to soak up out last hours in this beautiful country. We started our day on the beach in Tamarindo, a popular surfing town, where we chose whether we wanted to explore town more, swim, surf, or just relax on the beach. Personally, I chose to try and conquer surfing (with a bit of persuasion from our tour guide, Madri) before leaving. After all, that's what the locals do, so I might as well give it a go.

 Madri gave me a crash course in the stance and what I should know before we hit the water, and when I was getting ready for that first wave I was beyond nervous. Madri made me understand that there was no reason to be afraid, and that he was right there with me, almost acting like my dad. And finally after many, many wipeouts and failed attempts, I finally stood and surfed a wave. I could feel the force of the water under my board and I understood that it isn't something I should be afraid of. I just have to respect the ocean, and she'll take care of me. Madri explained that this is part of the Pura Vida that so many people search for and try to live. While Pura Vida means different things to different people, the moment of feeling the ocean around you and just waiting for the next wave was one of the many definitions, and for me it was what finally made the idea of a Pura Vida lifestyle make sense to me. 

 After surfing, we had a fruit bowl with ice cream on the beach for lunch, then we were on our way to the grand finale of our trip--a ride on a catamaran for the rest of the afternoon that will end at sunset. We relaxed and listened to the ocean as we headed out, saw a seal (which is extremely rare in Costa Rica!), made our way to a secluded bay to swim and jump off the boat, then had freshly made kebabs and chicken wraps prepared by our awesome crew! As the sun was starting to set we started to head back in, we watched a pod of spotted dolphins that had babies. We sung and danced the whole way back as the sun sunk beneath the ocean and left the sky in brilliant colors of pink and orange!


 The entire way back, I couldn't help but think about how grateful I was for being able to come on this truly once in a lifetime trip. I had thought any sort of travel abroad program would have been too pricey, but after asking questions and learning more, I realized it was actually affordable! This program in particular also had scholarships available and after applying I had found out I received a scholarship that would cover 2/3 of the original cost! While making the payments throughout the school year, it felt like I was paying quite a lot for this program, but after experiencing everything and touring nearly the whole country I realized I barely paid anything at all. I'm extremely grateful that I was able to go on this adventure and I learned so much about myself and the world around me, and I know a big part of the reason I was able to do so was with that scholarship. I hope more people realize how easy it is to study abroad and live amazing experiences!

Pura Vida!!